About Code Blue for Child Care
Who we are
Code Blue for Child Care is a cross-Canada campaign to make child care a central election issue in this federal election and to elect a government committed to a national child care system. Our goal is a universal early childhood education and care system for all Canadians.The campaign brings together national, provincial/territorial child care organizations, labour and women’s organizations, social justice and anti-poverty groups – Canadians from all walks of life.
For more information, please go to our web site: http://buildchildcare.ca/about/
What we want
- High quality affordable public and non-profit services that meet parents’ and children’s needs.
Code Blue for Child Care is calling on political parties to commit to:
- A long-term goal of a high quality universal child care system by 2020, beginning the first phase immediately upon forming government;
- Federal leadership, including legislation setting out the principles of the pan-Canadian child care system;
- Substantial funding to provinces/territories so they can begin creating child care systems based on public funding, public/non-profit expansion and public plans;
- Good options for parents, including a choice of high quality affordable early childhood education and care programs, improved parental leave and adequate income.
- Within these broad recommendations, we acknowledge Quebec’s right to develop social programs and applaud the leadership it has shown in initiating its child care system.