"We're not superheroes"
In honour of Caregivers' Week in Quebec (November 2-8, 2009), the Care-Ring Voice Network launches the Caregiver "Not Superhero Campaign".
The goal of the campaign is to reinforce that caregivers are not superheroes and require better support and assistance.
The plain facts:
- There are an estimated 500,000 unpaid caregivers in the province of Quebec.
- 80% of all the care needed is performed by caregivers in the home, placing the expectation of care mostly on the family.
- The value of their unpaid labour amounts to 6 to 9 billion dollars annually.
- 8 out of 10 caregivers report experiencing emotional distress and 25% of all caregivers suffer from depression.
- Caregivers stress and fatigue can lead to caregivers becoming care receivers themselves. Caregivers have a 63% higher risk of mortality than non-caregivers.
- A large proportion of caregivers are forced to reduce hours of employment, or leave their jobs altogether. These caregivers face immediate and long-term economic repercussions.