There have been many questions about when members can use special leave; hopefully the following bulletin will help explain.
Clause 21.03 Leave for Other Reasons (Page 162 of the Urban Collective Agreement) says: “Where conditions warrant it, special leave with pay may be granted when circumstances not directly attributable to the employee… prevent them from reporting for duty. Such leave will not be unreasonably withheld.” Article 21.03 also goes on to say that you must use all your personal days (Article 20 of the Urban Collective Agreement) before you can request special leave.
Once you have used all your personal days and you require special leave, there are steps that you need to follow. There have been many arbitration decisions about this issue and they all roughly say the same thing.
- An employee must make a reasonable effort to make other arrangements so they can report for work
- The Employer must make proper inquiries and give sufficient consideration to the request.
We are planning for the Summer 2016 newsletter. We will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Special Needs Project. If you have been with the project for a few years you could send us “Then” and “Now” photos - a photo of when your child first joined the project along with a recent photo. Or you could tell us about what it was like for your child when you first joined the project and what life is like now. Any thoughts or comments you have on your time with the project would be welcome. The deadline to have your letter or photos included in the newsletter is April 15th.
Who are we?
For over 30 years! PREMIÈRE RESSOURCE, AIDE AUX PARENTS is a free and anonymous service which provides professional counseling by telephone with a mission to contribute, with a preventive and supportive approach, to the well-being of families, by helping them understand and solve problems related to education and the relationship between parents and children in everyday life.
How to get help?
• The consultations are done by TELEPHONE or email our form, in French or in English.
• WE TAKE AS MUCH TIME as is necessary to listen to and understand the person who calls. Our consultations do not have a time limit.
• We also take the time to analyze and understand your EMAIL and some times we invite you to call us to respond more fully and specifically.
• WE OFFER THE POSSIBILITY OF FOLLOW-UPS, always anonymous, with the same counselor. This personalized approach makes it easier to work on the more complex problems.